Affording St. James'
As part of its mission as an Episcopal school, St. James' is committed to serving children in our community, regardless of a family’s ability to cover the full cost of tuition. We offer a high-quality educational experience for your child in a kind community where families are partners with our school.
Unlike federal college loans that need to be re-paid, tuition assistance at St. James’ is granted to families to help lower their annual tuition costs. The Board of Trustees is committed to maintaining relatively low tuition through careful fiscal management and has established a specific endowment to provide additional income for future tuition assistance grants.
Your family may qualify for tuition assistance grants ranging from 10% up to 90% of annual tuition. Extenuating circumstances like short-term unemployment or caring for a sick grandparent may mean your family needs additional help to meet St. James’ tuition obligations. Your investment in the cost of a St. James’ education is a significant investment in your child’s future. Providing you with the maximum value for your tuition investment is our goal while keeping costs as affordable as possible for the members of our community.
Enormous Value for Your Investment
At St. James’, your tuition goes farther than at other schools; we cover with tuition what other schools might charge additional fees for:
- Before- and after-school care;
- Field trips to local museums, aquariums, or theatrical performances;
- Out-of-town, multi-night trips for 4th – 6th grade students.
- Co-curricular classes in Spanish, Music, Art, Smart Lab, Science, Library, P.E./Health, and Religion.
Tuition Assistance Application
The deadline for completing and submitting Tuition Assistance application forms is Friday, November 30, 2018.
To assist in determining need and to protect the privacy of applicant families, St. James’ uses Financial Aid for Student Tuition (FAST), an autonomous firm serving many independent schools. The confidential FAST report helps a school assess a family’s ability to contribute toward the cost of tuition.
The Tuition Assistance Committee carefully evaluates this report for each family applying for aid and distributes available Tuition Assistance funds according to demonstrated need. Awards are determined separately and independent of admission decisions.
All Tuition Assistance awards are reviewed and recalculated each year, so re-enrolling families are asked to re-submit updated financial information and tax returns. Priority goes first to students currently receiving Tuition Assistance, then to returning students applying for Tuition Assistance for the first time, and finally to newly admitted students.
Apply for Tuition Assistance by November 30
- Complete an online FAST application by Friday, November 30, 2018 (There is a $43 non-refundable fee when submitting your FAST application).
- Make a copy of your signed 2017 Federal Tax Form 1040, including all W-2 and/or 1099 forms and schedules for both parents. Submit these forms directly to FAST; they will provide instructions after you complete the online application.
- It is imperative to complete your 2017 taxes so that you can meet the Tuition Assistance application deadline.
- Priority will be given to applications received by the deadline of Friday, November 30, 2018. Late applications will be considered only if Tuition Assistance funds are still available.
- Divorced or separated parents must each submit a tuition assistance application.
- The Tuition Assistance Committee is unable to review applications until they are complete.
- Tuition Assistance awards are re-calculated each year for re-enrolling students and reflect any changes in a family’s financial situation.
2018–2019 Tuition & Fees
Total tuition includes a $1,600 non-refundable, annual Enrollment Fee that is due at registration.
Total Tuition – Preschool
Total Tuition –Kindergarten Readiness Program
Total Tuition – Kindergarten-2nd Grade
Total Tuition – 3rd–6th Grades
New Student Fee
Important Admission Dates
Preschool/Kindergarten Readiness Application Due Date: November 2, 2018
Kindergarten through 6th grade Application Due Date: November 30, 2018
FAST applications Due Date: November 30, 2018
Parent Interviews: appointments available September – January
Child Visit Dates: appointments available December – January
Kindergarten Readiness through 6th grade Supplemental Materials Due: January 11, 2019
Last Day for 2nd through 6th grade applicants to take ISEE: January 19, 2019
Preschool Admission Committee Decision: Decision letters will be emailed on February 28, 2019
Preschool Enrollment Contracts Due: March 4, 2019
K-6th Admission Committee Decision: Decision letters will be mailed on March 15, 2019
K-6th Enrollment Contracts Due: March 25, 2019