Diverse and Inclusive
The Tuition Assistance fund at St. James’ allows us to enroll students with a diversity of economic backgrounds. Prospective students whose families cannot afford the full tuition cost of St. James’ are encouraged to apply for admission.
As part of its mission as an Episcopal school, St. James' is committed to serving all qualified students in our community, regardless of ability to cover the full cost of tuition. Tuition Assistance awards are considered and offered to families who demonstrate financial need. All awards are need-based; we do not offer merit-based scholarships.
To assist in determining need and to protect the privacy of applicant families, St. James’ uses Financial Aid for Student Tuition (FAST), an independent firm serving many independent schools. The FAST report, which we hold confidential, gives an accurate picture of a family’s finances and helps the school assess a family’s ability to contribute toward the cost of tuition.
The Tuition Assistance Committee carefully evaluates this report for each family applying for aid and distributes available Tuition Assistance funds according to demonstrated need. Awards are determined separately and independent of admission decisions.
All Tuition Assistance awards are reviewed and recalculated each year, so re-enrolling families are asked to re-submit updated financial information and tax returns.
How to Apply
- Complete an online FAST application by Thursday, February 15, 2018 (There is a $43 non-refundable fee when submitting your FAST application).
- Make a copy of your signed 2017 Federal Tax Form 1040, including all W-2 and/or 1099 forms and schedules for both parents. Submit these forms directly to FAST; they will provide instructions after you complete the online application.
- It is imperative to complete your taxes early so that you can meet the Tuition Assistance application deadline.
- Priority will be given to applications received by the deadline of Thursday, February 15, 2018. Late applications will be considered only if Tuition Assistance funds are still available.
- Divorced or separated parents must each submit a tuition assistance application.
- The Tuition Assistance Committee is unable to review applications until they are complete.
- Tuition Assistance awards are re-calculated each year for re-enrolling students and reflect any changes in a family’s financial situation.
For questions regarding the Tuition Assistance program, please contact Director of Finance and Operations Najah Lowe at (213) 382-2315 ext. 303.
Important Admission Dates
Preschool/Kindergarten Readiness Application Due Date: November 3, 2017
Kindergarten through 6th grade Application Due Date: December 1, 2017
Parent Interviews: appointments available October– January
Child Visit Dates: appointments available December – January
Kindergarten through 6th grade Supplemental Materials Due: January 12, 2018
Last Day for 5th and 6th grade applicants to take ISEE: January 20, 2018
Preschool Admission Committee Decision: Decision letters will be mailed on February 8, 2018
Preschool Enrollment Contracts Due: February 12, 2018
Last Day for tuition assistance applications: February 15, 2018
K-6th Admission Committee Decision: Decision letters will be mailed on March 16, 2018
K-6th Enrollment Contracts Due: March 26, 2018