Diverse and Inclusive
Tuition Assistance at St. James’ allows us to enroll students with a diversity of economic backgrounds. Prospective students whose families cannot afford the full tuition cost of St. James’ are encouraged to apply for admission.
Financing a St. James' Education
As part of its mission as an Episcopal school, St. James' is committed to serving all qualified students in our community, regardless of ability to cover the full cost of tuition. Tuition Assistance awards are considered and offered to families who demonstrate financial need. All awards are need-based; we do not offer merit-based scholarships.
To assist in determining need and to protect the privacy of applicant families, St. James’ uses Financial Aid for Student Tuition (FAST), an independent firm serving many independent schools. The FAST report, which we hold confidential, gives an accurate picture of a family’s finances and helps the school assess a family’s ability to contribute toward the cost of tuition.
The Tuition Assistance Committee carefully evaluates this report for each family applying for aid and distributes available Tuition Assistance funds according to demonstrated need. Awards are determined separately and independent of admission decisions.
All Tuition Assistance awards are reviewed and recalculated each year, so re-enrolling families are asked to re-submit updated financial information and tax returns. Priority goes first to students currently receiving Tuition Assistance, then to returning students applying for Tuition Assistance for the first time, and finally to newly admitted students.
How to Apply
- Complete an online FAST application by Friday, November 30, 2018 (There is a $43 non-refundable fee when submitting your FAST application).
- Make a copy of your signed 2017 Federal Tax Form 1040, including all W-2 and/or 1099 forms and schedules for both parents. Submit these forms directly to FAST; they will provide instructions after you complete the online application.
- It is imperative to complete your 2017 taxes so that you can meet the Tuition Assistance application deadline.
- Priority will be given to applications received by the deadline of Friday, November 30, 2018. Late applications will be considered only if Tuition Assistance funds are still available.
- Divorced or separated parents must each submit a tuition assistance application.
- The Tuition Assistance Committee is unable to review applications until they are complete.
- Tuition Assistance awards are re-calculated each year for re-enrolling students and reflect any changes in a family’s financial situation.
Important Admission Dates
Preschool/Kindergarten Readiness Application Due Date: November 2, 2018
Kindergarten through 6th grade Application Due Date: November 30, 2018
FAST applications Due Date: November 30, 2019
Parent Interviews: appointments available September – January
Child Visit Dates: appointments available December – January
Kindergarten Readiness through 6th grade Supplemental Materials Due: January 11, 2019
Last Day for 2nd through 6th grade applicants to take ISEE: January 19, 2019
Preschool Admission Committee Decision: Decision letters will be emailed on February 28, 2019
Preschool Enrollment Contracts Due: March 4, 2019
K-6th Admission Committee Decision: Decision letters will be mailed on March 15, 2019
K-6th Enrollment Contracts Due: March 25, 2019